1837 - Squatters came early to the district. John Norman McLeod took up the property "Borhoneyghurk" in October 1837.
1840 - "Moranghurk" was occupied by Taylor and McPherson.
1846 - The Golden Fleece Inn was in business on the eastern side of the Cooleburghurk Creek.
1851- 52 Meredith Township was surveyed, the basic grid runs North/South, East/West and most streets named after first landholders.
1854 First Post Office was Opened The Royal Hotel and Gosling's Hotel opened their doors for business.
1855 The first documented burial in old cemetery. First school on the National Systems was established.
1859 First Free Presbyterian Church built.
1860 Land was granted to the Church of England. First Roman Catholic Church was built.
1861 New cemetery was gazetted. First burial recorded was Alice McClelland. Catholic School opened with Miss Mary Ann Stow as teacher.
1862 The Railway Station was built. Railway line between North Geelong and Ballarat opened - 11th April. First fright trains 20th August.
1863 On 30th June , the Meredith District Road Board was gazetted.
1864 Offices for the Meredith Roads Board were ready for occupation.
1867 Common School No 1420 opened.
1869 Weatherboard Presbyterian Church built.
1871 Meredith proclaimed a Shire and seal of council made.
1878 Foundation for new Shire Hall was laid by President of Shire Council on 29th May.
By 1879 Meredith had: Telegraph Office. 3 Hotels. State school. English , Roman and Presbyterian Church. Courthouse and Police Station. Insurance Agency. Post Office with money orders and savings bank Train left twice a day.
1891 Meredith Creamery & Butter Factory opened 18th November.
1906 Meredith Mechanics Institute was completed in March. A fence was erected in June around the Hall.
1911 In May it was decided that a Fire Brigade should be formed and be called Meredith Fire Brigade. 1926 The Meredith Hospital was opened.
1953 The first soldier settlers arrived to take up blocks on Moranghurk Estate. Twenty six blocks were allocated in three portions.
1955 Local Farmer and politician Henry Bolte became Premier of Victoria when Liberal Party won election 7th June. He was later knighted and became Sir Henry Bolte. He was Premier for 17 years.
1958 Meredith Mechanics Institute was dedicated as a Soldier's Memorial and the name changed to Meredith Memorial Hall.
1987 Meredith Community House was formed and was located in former Head Teacher's residence.
1988 Bicentennial Year. Community planted trees on what was railway land and created Pioneer Park. Meredith Progress Association called "The Town Team" initiated tree guard project- 52 tree guards were created and decorated by locals. These are situated in Wilson St.
1990 The "Path of the Ibis" was created along Coolebarghurk Creek.
1991 Meredith Music Festival was first held.
2009 The aim of Advance Meredith Association ( previously The Town Team ) is to " make the town a nice place to live".
2013 Meredith Interpretive Centre was built and officially opened in 2014.
2015 The Meredith Community Centre in partnership with the Golden Plains Shire and the Meredith Kindergarten became integrated into a modern new building which has become the Meredith Community Learning Hub.
2016 The MHIG relocated from the Church of England Hall to The Shire Hall at 31 Staughton St.
Copyright 2023. Meredith History Interest Group Inc . A.B.N 38 230 675 705